Let’s talk about the delicate dance that is finding a roommate. I know that I already complained about this particular subject recently, but some recent online conversations have proven to be very disturbing. This issue is far from over. I just don’t understand why some people say the things that they do when they are trying to find a roommate. Like, why would you describe one roommate as a ‘lover of red wine and novels about/written by serial killers and introverts’ and the other as a ‘lover of white wine and horror movies’ unless you two were planning on murdering me? That’s the kind of personal information that you hide until you know that your roommate is comfortable and confident that you are not planning their death. People are crazy. You don’t see me going around admitting the amount of time I spent deciding whether or not to make a separate Christmas gift wrap board in addition to my regular gift wrap board on Pinterest, do you? Does anyone know any pseudo-normal people in NYC that are in need of a clean and responsible roommate that loves her dog just a tad bit too much? They won’t starve!
Things like these Grilled Flank Steaks with Sicilian Olive Tapenade will be made. And there will most likely be leftovers. That I probably won’t mind sharing! This recipe is one of my favorites, especially during the summer months. It’s even better if you have a grill. It all starts with the marinade – shallots, garlic, oranges, oregano, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes. It’s sweet, spicy, and smoky! Throw those steaks on the grill and move onto the tapenade – sicilian green olives, capers, garlic, and anchovies. This is a yummy summer dinner that you will be making over and over again.
Smoky citrus-herb marinated flank steaks topped with salty olive and caper tapenade
1 hour 10 mins
1 hour 25 mins
Serves 4 to 6
For the Tepenade
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup pitted Sicilian olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 anchovy fillet packed in oil, drained and minced
For the Steaks
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
For the Tepenade
1. Stir together the olive oil, olives, capers, garlic, and anchovy in a small bowl. Set aside.
For the Steaks
1. Place the steak in a large baking dish. Stir together the orange zest, orange juice, shallots, garlic, oregano, paprika, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and salt in a small bowl. Rub the mixture over both sides of the steak to cover completely. Let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the steak for 6 to 8 minutes per side, until a golden brown crust forms and the meat is cooked through. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice the steaks against the grain and transfer to a platter. Spoon the olive tapenade over the top and serve.