When you open your kitchen cabinet, are you greeted by a mess of spice bottles? Perhaps some of them are tipped over, their contents spilled across your shelves. Others may be hard to reach, stuffed away in the back, lost in dark corners behind the rest.
If so, preparing your cuisine is a lot more difficult than it needs to be. It is pretty frustrating when you’ve worked hard to prepare a delicious entrée, only to mess it up because you cannot find a particular spice at the right moment.
The solution to these cooking woes is to purchase a high-quality spice rack which keeps your spices conveniently organized and easy to reach.
In the guide that follows, we will go over some of the top spice racks currently on the market. Following that, we will discuss what factors you should consider when you’re choosing a spice rack to purchase.
1. YouCopia Chef’s Edition SpiceStack 30-Bottle Spice Organizer
- The simple, clean, contemporary design can fit in well with any decor in your kitchen.
- Even with its compact dimensions, this spice rack has enough room for 30 full-size spice bottles. Alternately, you can store 60 half-size spice bottles. Both round and square bottles are compatible with the rack.
- The drawers keep your spices contained. They also help to conceal them from view, making your kitchen look a little less busy and cluttered.
- When you open the drawers, they have a flip-down design. This aligns the spices so that you can see them more easily even if your spice rack is stored overhead. This design also makes it easier to reach inside and get what you need.
- You receive 96 drawer labels with your purchase. You can remove and replace these labels if needed.
- You can set this spice rack anywhere you want without having to perform any sort of installation.
- The unit is equipped with grippy feet.
- Plastic was used in the construction of the drawers. While this probably has helped keep the price reasonable, it does mean that you need to take some care when using this item. If the drawers are subjected to unnecessary strain, they could break. Of course, this probably will not happen on a regular day in the kitchen.
2. McCormick Gourmet Organic Wood Spice Rack
- You can set the spice rack on your countertop, or you can mount it on a wall.
- This is an excellent high-visibility option. The three tiers are stacked one atop the other with the sides of bottles displayed so that you do not need to do any labeling. You can see everything at a glance.
- Since 24 herbs and spices are included with your purchase, it is an excellent value.
- The rack is made of wood, which gives it a nice, classic appearance that enhances the overall look of your kitchen. This also makes it a durable option.
- Not only does this rack with its included spices and herbs save you money, but it also saves you time and effort if you are looking to rapidly build up the spice supply in your kitchen. All you need to do going forward is be ready to replace herbs and spices which run out.
- There is sometimes some inconsistency with which spices are shipped out with the rack.
- The price tag on this item is significant. When you consider that you are getting 24 herbs and spices along with the rack, however, it is actually quite reasonable.
3. Kamenstein 30020 Revolving 20-Jar Countertop Spice Rack Tower Organizer
- When you purchase this spice rack, it comes with free spices (20 jars in all) along with free spice refills over a five-year period. This saves money as well as time and effort.
- The display is made of stainless steel, which gives it a pleasing appearance while also ensuring its durability and longevity.
- The rack revolves so that you can always bring the spices you need to the front.
- The tower design is narrow, which means that even if you do not have a lot of room on your countertop, you probably can find a place for it. This makes it a suitable choice even for tiny kitchens.
- Each spice jar includes a lid which is already labeled with its contents. That means that you can see where everything is without having to glance inside the jars. This makes it even faster and easier to grab what you need while you are preparing a recipe.
- There may be some lack of variety in the spices which come with the rack. It seems that the company has a habit of duplicating spices rather than providing a set where each spice is individual and unique.
4. Kamenstein 5085178 Criss-Cross 18-Jar Bamboo Countertop Spice Rack Organizer
Another appealing option from Kamenstein is this spice rack organizer. The configuration is entirely different from the rotating rack design. Instead, it has configuration which is similar to that of a crisscross wine rack.
- The bamboo crisscross design is aesthetically very satisfying. It can enhance the look of your kitchen and integrate well with a wide variety of styles.
- When you purchase this spice rack, you receive not just the rack, but 18 jars of free spices as well. You also can order free spice refills for the next five years. The spices arrive with labeled lids for speedy identification of their contents.
- Considering everything included with your purchase, even at full price, this spice rack is a great value. When it is discounted, it is an even better one.
- While this spice rack looks beautiful displayed on a countertop, you also can mount it on your wall or put it in a drawer or cabinet.
- Another benefit of the design of the spice rack is that you can fit a wide variety of bottles, whether they are square or round. That means that even after you run out of free refills, you should have no problem fitting in nearly anything you’d like.
- Occasionally, units seem to ship out with mold on them. Obviously, this is not something you want. Fortunately, this seems to happen very rarely.
5. Spectrum Diversified Countertop 3-Tier Spice Rack
- You can set this spice rack up on your counter, or you can fit inside a cabinet.
- There are some artistic flourishes to the design of the rack which makes it nice to look at. You can opt for black or chrome.
- This spice rack is inexpensive.
- Because the rack is made out of steel, it is durable in spite of its delicate, graceful appearance.
- Your purchase includes mounting hardware. So if you want this spice rack on your wall instead of sitting on a surface, you will have everything you need to install it.
- The dimensions of the rack keep it relatively close against the wall. This means that it takes up less space on your counter than some other products might.
- Some taller spice bottles may not fit on the lower shelves of this rack. While they can be placed on the top of the rack, there is not enough support on either side to keep them from toppling if something happens to shake the rack.
- The rack is lightweight, so if you are storing lightweight bottles on it, you need to be mindful of where you set it so that it will not be knocked over.
6. SimpleHouseware 30 Spice Gripper Clips Strips Cabinet Holder
- These spice racks are sticky strips which you can place wherever you want. They are designed to go inside your cabinets. So no matter what shapes or sizes of cabinets you might have, you can customize this solution to your needs. Just stick the strips anywhere they fit. If you live in a small apartment or home, this can be extremely helpful. It also makes them ideal for RV kitchens.
- With a 30-jar capacity, these 6 strips are perfect for all your spice and herb storage needs.
- The 3M LSE tape on these strips is already applied, so you do not need to do any prep work in this area. The kit comes with small screws you can use if you want to adhere the strips more firmly to the insides of your cabinet doors.
- Even with their simple design, these strips can accommodate a surprisingly wide range of bottles.
- With their low cost, these strips are an affordable solution for storing your herbs and spices.
- In some situations, it seems that the spice canisters can slide out. Whether this issue affects you or not may depend on what specific types of bottles you try to store.
Considerations When Buying a Spice Rack
1. Type of Rack
The first important consideration when you are picking out a spice rack is what configuration of rack you need. There are numerous different options such as:
- Vertical racks which display all of your spices lined up in rows so you can see the sides.
- Racks which are similar to the configuration above, but orienting your spices so that you see their lids.
- Rotating racks.
- Strips you can install on the insides of cabinet doors.
- Tiered display systems.
Ask yourself both where you will be putting the spice rack and what you will find most easy and convenient to use. Do not forget to account for the dimensions of the space the rack will need to fit inside.
The capacity of the spice rack is another important consideration. How many spice bottles can it hold? What size do the bottles need to be in order to be compatible with the spice rack?
With some types of spice racks, you can see at a glance exactly which spices are which. But this is not true of all spice racks. With those that only show you the lids at a glance, you may need to be prepared to spend time labeling those lids in order to find what you need without hunting for it.
Most spice racks are pretty good about keeping your spices accessible and fast and easy to grab. Those which rotate may be particularly helpful in this regard.
5. Materials, Style, and Aesthetics
Spice racks come in a wide variety of materials. Some are made of wood, others plastic, others metal, and so forth. Their styles can vary from classic to contemporary. Some are really basic looking, while others may be more decorative.
There’s quite a wide range for pricing for spice racks. A spice rack may be quite cheap or rather expensive depending on the product you purchase. You will need to decide what is right for your budget.