What could be more satisfying than a delicious roasted casserole hot from the oven? If you want to roast your food right, you will need a roasting pan to get the best results. A well-designed roasting pan also will save you time after meal preparation by making it faster and easier to clean up.
To help you find the ideal roasting pan, we have put together a list of some of the top products currently available. To learn more about important features and considerations when comparing roasting pans, scroll down past the product overviews to our buying guide.
1. Calphalon 2029653 Premier Anodized 16-Inch Roaster with Rack
For those who can budget in the premium price range, the Calphalon 2029653 Premier Anodized 16-Inch Roaster with Rack boasts excellent performance and features with enough space to prepare large meals. If you do not need 16 inches, there are a number of smaller versions of the same product available at lower prices.
- The non-stick surface is hard-anodized, which makes it durable enough that you can use metal utensils when you are cooking. According to the manufacturer, the multi-layer coating should have a 40% longer-lasting release than that on the Calphalon Classic.
- You can use this roasting pan in your oven at temperatures as high as 450°F. It can also go on top of your stove, whether it is electric, gas or glass.
- If you can fit this product inside your dishwasher, you do not need to wash it by hand. That being said, you will probably end up doing so as the more convenient option. Either way, the non-stick coating should make it easy to clean off caked-on food.
- This roasting pan has some serious heft to it. You won’t question whether it is sturdy enough to use day after day. Properly cleaned and not exposed to heat above 450°F, it should have the potential for a long lifespan.
- The handles are inconveniently small considering how large the roasting pan is. This is most likely to be problematic if you are preparing heavy meals like a turkey.
2. Circulon 56539 Nonstick Roasting Pan
Another roasting pan to consider is the 17” x 13” Circulon 56539 Nonstick Roasting Pan. While quite large, this roasting pan is also quite reasonably priced. So, if you liked the Calphalon 2029653, but are looking for an alternative that can save you money, this roasting pan might be ideal for your needs.
- The rack features a concave curvature which helps to keep your food centered in the pan for even cooking and less spilling over the sides. You can remove the rack when you need to wash it and pour out the drippings out of the bottom of the roasting pan.
- The non-stick surface is PFOA-free, making it both easy to clean and a safe, healthy choice. The entire surface, both inside and out, has this coating. So even if food drips down the sides, you should have no trouble getting your roasting pan clean after a meal.
- It is safe to use this roasting pan in the oven up to 450°F.
- The riveted handles are wide, comfortable and safe to grip. They also are sturdy enough to hold even under a significant load.
- The metal used for this pan is not particularly thick. While it seems to be reasonably sturdy, it may not be quite as durable as a thicker gauge. That being said, this may make it a less unwieldy option for those looking for something a little less hefty.
3. Viking Culinary 4013-5016 3-Ply Stainless Steel Roasting Pan with Nonstick Rack
The Viking Culinary 4013-5016 3-Ply Stainless Steel Roasting Pan is in the upper price bracket, but you can sometimes find it for sale at a considerable discount. You can purchase it with just the rack, or with the rack and a carving set.
- This roasting pan is safe to use in your oven up to 600°F. That is considerably higher than the more typical 450°F.
- The interior surface of the roasting pan is made of 18/10 stainless steel. This material offers superior durability and is non-reactive, preserving the flavors and aromas of your recipes.
- The handles are inverted in order to make it easier to carry the roasting pan. This design also help to minimize its footprint so that it is compatible with a larger range of ovens.
- The cooking rack has a V-shape which reduces spilling and keeps your food centered. Like the pan itself, the rack is non-stick. It is PFOA- and PFOE-free. You can wash the pan in your dishwasher or by hand.
- Your purchases backed by a lifetime limited warranty.
- While most of these pans seem to perform well and remain in great condition through frequent use, sometimes it seems that the non-stick coating can scratch or peel easily. There is a lifetime limited warranty which you may be able to call on if there is a manufacturing defect.
4. Granite Ware 19-Inch Covered Oval Roaster
For an entirely different design, you can consider the Granite Ware 19-Inch Covered Oval Roaster. This round, covered roaster measures 19 inches and is made out of porcelain enamel rather than metal. The round shape may be a better fit for some ovens, and the material bequeaths some unique benefits.
- The porcelain enamel is non-porous, which means that food has a hard time sticking to it, even without a coating. Because no coating is necessary, these products are PFOA- and PTFE-free. There are no chemicals, just natural, non-stick enamel.
- A Granite Ware roasting pan like this one is able to distribute heat evenly and cook efficiently by absorbing energy.
- The enamel will not react with your food, leaving flavors and aromas unaltered and delicious.
- Despite its sturdy construction, this roasting pan is not as heavy as some others which offer a similar high capacity.
- Granite Ware is a highly reputable brand, and their products can last many, many years with proper care. So, if longevity is one of your prime considerations when choosing a roasting pan, the Granite Ware 19-Inch Covered Oval Roaster is an excellent choice.
- Damage during shipping seems to be more common with Granite Ware products than many competing metal products. Given the nature of the material, this is perhaps not unexpected.
5. Viking 3-Ply Stainless Steel Oval Roaster
If you like the idea of a round or oval roaster, but you are interested in a stainless steel design rather than a product made out of enamel, you may be interested in the Viking 3-Ply Stainless Steel Oval Roaster. This product is similar to the Viking Culinary 4013-5016 3-Ply Stainless Steel Roasting Pan shared previously.
- The oval shape is ideal if you have crossover burners. In fact, you might not be able to get away with a different shape.
- The 18/8 stainless steel interior is durable and non-reactive. So it will not impact the flavors or aromas when you cook. The rack is also made of stainless steel.
- The product features durable 3-ply construction. The exterior is induction-capable magnetic stainless steel. Sandwiched between that and the inner stainless steel layer is an aluminum alloy core which distributes heat evenly while you are roasting.
- If you are looking for a product which can withstand high temperatures, you will be pleased to learn that this one can be heated up to 600°F on your stovetop or in your oven safely.
- Your purchase of this product is backed by a lifetime limited warranty.
- Some buyers feel that this product is slightly on the small size. Take a careful look at its dimensions before you purchase it.
6. ExcelSteel 531 4 Piece Stainless Roaster with Cover
If you’re looking for a budget option, one roaster which we can recommend is the ExcelSteel 531 4 Piece Stainless Roaster with Cover. Included in your purchase is the roasting pan, a cover, the rack, and also a spatula. Even at full price, it is a good deal.
- The stainless steel construction is durable to maximize longevity. You might expect some skimping in terms of materials with the lower price point, but the pan itself is sturdy. The lid is plastic, so that is where you see a drop in quality. Still, the lid can save you time over having to put plastic wrap over your leftovers, so it’s still nice to have.
- When you are not using the handles, you can fold them down to get them out of the way, saving space in your cabinet or on your countertop.
- The dish is extra-deep compared to many other roasters. That way, you can not only use it as a roasting pan, but also as a lasagna pan. You may also find other recipes which are easier to make in a deeper pan.
- It is hard to go wrong with the price for this roasting pan.
- The lid doesn’t seem to form a seal on top of the roasting pan. This is not the most stable design.
Considerations When Buying a Roasting Pan
1. Sturdy Construction
A roasting pan should be made out of a rugged material. Not only will it be exposed to high temperatures, but it will also contain heavy loads. The more solid its construction is, the longer it should last.
2. Ergonomic and Robust Handles
Because roasting pans are frequently quite heavy even without ingredients in them, strong handles which allow you to maintain an ergonomic and steady grip are essential. Handles which are too small are not only uncomfortable, but can even be unsafe.
Roasting pans can be large, medium or small. When considering what dimensions are appropriate for your needs, don’t forget to consider the size of your oven and not just the size of the meals you prepare.
You might also want to think about weight. One drawback of a high-capacity roasting pan is that it can be a challenge to pick up and move. If you have a small frame, you might consider a roasting pan which is a bit smaller, even if you cannot make as much food all at once.
If food sticks to the inside of a roasting pan, cleaning it out can be a major hassle, especially if it is an unwieldy pan. Look for one which will be easy to clean by hand or in the dishwasher with a non-stick surface.
5. Safe and Healthy
There is a chemical used in the manufacture of some non-stick coatings called Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), also sometimes called “C8.” There may be cancer risks associated with this chemical, so you should only purchase roasting pans which are PFOA-free. If there is no coating, you can assume this to be the case. If there is, check to make sure it says there is no PFOA in the finished product.
6. Strong and Steady Rack
Finally, roasting pans typically include a rack which helps to cook your food evenly by permitting the free movement of air. Like the roasting pan itself, the rack should be sturdily manufactured and preferably non-stick. It also should not slide around, or you could end up spilling hot food when you attempt to pull your roasting pan out of the oven.