When you’re baking cookies, you don’t want them to just smell and taste delicious—you want them to look impeccable when you present them as well. Could you carefully sculpt each and every cookie yourself by hand? Sure. But you’ll get much better results the fast and easy way with a cookie press.
A cookie press makes it a breeze to shape each every cookie perfectly. With the press of a handle, you can make cookie after cookie just the way you like them. When you pile them onto a platter to serve at a party or other special event, you can be sure they’ll be a big hit with all of the guests.
|Kuhn Rikon Clear|
|Valuetools Red Clear|
|OXO Good Grips|
|Wilton Simple Success|
But like all useful kitchen appliances, cookie presses vary in quality and features. Some are easier to use than others, and produce more consistent, appealing results.
To make it easy for you to find the ideal cookie press, we have gathered some of the highest-quality options available right now. Read the reviews below, and continue past them for our guide to what to consider when shopping for a cookie press.
1. Kuhn Rikon Clear Cookie Press
If you typically like to put icing on your cookies, consider purchasing the Kuhn Rikon Clear Cookie Press. This cookie press includes icing tips for decorating with your purchase for extra value. It is useful for making small cookies with minimal effort. If this appliance is appealing to you, but you are looking for a different option, take a look at the Valuetools Red Clear Cookie Press Gun Kit.
- As opposed to the common plunger style, this cookie press instead uses a ratchet. This may make it easier to use if you find the plunger design awkward. All you need to do is press on the trigger, and you get a cookie.
- Along with the cookie press itself, you get 14 steel discs for shaping cookies and 6 icing tips for decorating them. Because the discs are made of steel, they are less likely to break than if they were made of plastic.
- Your purchase comes with a set of recipes and a storage box.
- The barrel of the cookie press is transparent, allowing you to see the dough.
- Although it is recommended that you wash the cookie press yourself by hand, you can put it in your dishwasher on the top rack.
- The dimensions of this cookie press are on the smaller side, so it requires frequent refilling.
- The smaller dimensions of the press also mean that you get smaller cookies measuring around 2”.
- This is not the most sturdy cookie press ever made. This means that you should take extra care not to put too much dough into the barrel at once.
2. Valuetools Red Clear Cookie Press Gun Kit
This product is similar to the Kuhn Rikon Clear Cookie Press. Like that product, you press on a trigger rather than pushing down on the top of the plunger to make your cookies. As with the Kuhn Rikon Clear Cookie Press, this one also comes with icing tips alongside the discs.
- 16 discs and 6 icing tips come with your purchase.
- The trigger design is arguably easier to use in some respects than a plunger design—but it depends on your personal needs.
- Made of non-toxic, BPA-free, food-grade plastic.
- The barrel of the appliance is clear. You can look inside and see how much dough is in the press.
- The press’s design makes it easy to clean.
- This cookie press can yield consistent results. Using it is easy and enjoyable, and there is not much of a learning curve.
- While the Valuetools Red Clear Cookie Press Gun Kit is obviously a reddish color (it is arguably closer to pink), it is also available in yellow. Both are cheery colors which are perfect for the fun activity of making cookies, and offer a great way to express your personality in the kitchen.
- The price for this cookie press is very reasonable considering its nice features, performance, and extras.
- While the cookie press seems fairly sturdy, if it is overfilled or you use dough which is too dense, it is possible to strain the design and break it.
3. Marcato 8300 Atlas Classic Biscuit Maker Cookie Press
The Marcato 8300 Atlas Classic Biscuit Maker Cookie Press is an Italian-made product. It had some sophisticated features which easily justify its higher price, offering exceptional value.
- Despite the fact that the barrel is opaque, the materials and design of this cookie press stand out aesthetically. Stainless steel makes for a polished appearance while enhancing durability. You can choose a finish (silver, black, blue, pink, or red) you prefer. With a panel which reads “Biscuits,” the press clearly announces its European origin. It has a “premium” luxurious look and feel.
- There are 20 discs included so you can make a large variety of cookie shapes.
- One of the most exciting features of this cookie press is that you can change how large or small cookies are. A simple knob can be used for this adjustment.
- The design of the press was created with ergonomics in mind.
- You can take the cookie press apart so that you can wash it by hand with ease.
- The decision to use metal rather than plastic parts for this press not only has the effect of increasing its durability, but also helping it to function more effectively.
- A booklet is included with your purchase which comes with a variety of tasty recipes. That way, even beginners can dive right in with using the cookie press.
- The barrel of this cookie press is not transparent, so you cannot look inside and see how much dough remains.
4. OXO Good Grips Cookie Press
If you are shopping specifically for a cookie press which you can use to produce a tremendous variety of shapes and patterns, the OXO Good Grips Cookie Press is an ideal choice. When you purchase the press, it includes 12 discs, but you can purchase additional sets of discs if you want to augment your collection.
- First of all, it is great that your purchase includes 20 discs made out of stainless steel. Secondly, it is fantastic that you can purchase more seasonal disc sets. These include sets for spring and autumn holidays as well as Christmas.
- A non-slip design for the base of the unit helps to keep it from slipping on the counter while you are working. This improves the consistency of the results.
- You can look inside and see how much dough is in the barrel of the device.
- Washing the unit is easy since you can disassemble it. Some of the parts can be safely washed in your dishwasher, while others need to be cleaned in your sink by hand.
- Recipes are included with your purchase.
- The product arrives neatly packaged and comes with a convenient storage case.
- The lever is designed to be ergonomic and comfortable so that you can produce large batches of cookies without fatiguing.
- Your purchase is backed by a satisfaction guarantee from the manufacturer.
- Although most units seem to hold up well, sometimes subjecting the handle to too much strain can cause it to break.
5. Wilton Simple Success Cookie Press
Those who are in search of a budget option for a cookie press may want to take a look at the Wilton Simple Success Cookie Press. While this item generally runs at about the same price range as the Valuetools Red Clear Cookie Press Gun Kit, it has been known to go on sale for significantly less.
- Once you figure out how to use this appliance, you can produce large batches of cookies quickly and easily.
- 12 discs are included with the purchase.
- You cannot argue with the cost of this cookie press, which tends to range impressively low. While there are better options on this list overall, for those who do not have much to spend, it is a great alternative.
- Ergonomics were taken into account when designing the handle. The trigger includes a soft, comfortable grip, making this appliance pleasant and enjoyable to use.
- A recipe is included with your purchase so that you can begin making delicious, buttery cookies straight away after learning how to use the appliance.
- A smart design keeps the majority of the parts from requiring frequent cleaning. Washing and maintaining the cookie press is thus fast and easy.
- As is common with cookie presses, the product can break if you put it under too much strain. You also should try to avoid using dough which is too dense.
- You need to push down just right on the handle, or it will not work.
Considerations When Buying a Cookie Press
1. Shapes and Patterns
When you purchase a cookie press, it should come with a number of discs which you can insert to create different shapes and patterns of cookies. Find out how many are included, and what shapes and patterns you can expect. These can include general shapes as well as seasonal and holiday shapes.
2. Size Compatibility
You may already own some cookie press discs which you want to use with a new cookie press. Measure your existing discs and check to make sure that the new cookie press you are thinking of purchasing will be able to accommodate those discs.
3. Comfortable, Ergonomic Design
Pressing down repeatedly on an appliance which is not comfortably and ergonomically built can result in hand, wrist, arm, shoulder or neck strain. Try and pick a cookie press which will minimize these adverse effects if you are going to be making large batches of cookies.
4. Options for Cleaning
Find out what you will need to do to keep your cookie press clean and well-maintained. Do you need to clean the entire press or just a part of it? Do you have to wash it by hand, or can you put it in the dishwasher?
5. Ease of Operation
One of the most important aspects of cookie press design which you need to assess when making a purchase is how easy it is to effectively use the press.
Cookie presses are all pretty much the same in terms of basic operation. You need to push down on a handle to press dough through the bottom.
But differences in quality can effect how much effort and care it takes to do this. Some presses have handles which are more finicky or wobbly, and which are harder to control as a result. With others, operation is smooth and efficient.
6. Mechanism of Action
Find out how the cookie press works. Is it a pump design? A ratchet design? Is a different mechanism used? None of these is really “best”—all have pros and cons. You will need to decide for yourself which sounds most suitable for your requirements.
7. Consistency of Results
The quality of cookie press design will also impact the quality of your results. The best cookie presses can replicate the same cookie shapes and patterns again and again with minimal deviation in the outcomes.
Finally, because using a cookie press involves exerting pressure, it is extra important that the appliance be built out of sturdy, durable materials which can withstand repeated use. Manufacturers that cut corners may create cheaper cookie presses, but those which use the strongest materials produce appliances with greater longevity.