I’ve reached a lull when it comes to school work. I have nothing urgent or pressing that absolutely must be completed for at least a week. What that means is that I’m lying in wait, anticipating that something is going to go horribly wrong. I’m waiting for the email that says something to the tune of ‘Congrats, even though we told you you were going to graduate this semester, we are horrible people and you’re not going to graduate this semester.” Oh wait, I already got that email. Believe me, I was fully prepared to drive down to school and throw a completely age-appropriate temper tantrum, but before I could, it was resolved. They better thank their lucky stars because I was ready to go full Real Housewives of New Jersey on them.
So with that resolved, it was only a matter of time until more bad news came my way. All of the sudden, I’m watching the news and this horrible woman tells me that the price of bacon is going to skyrocket. Nooooooooo! It can’t be!!!! Bacon is my favorite food group. And I’m going to be down $50k tuition plus rent in New York in a few months, so I hope they produce some more pigs, ASAP! Mama needs her bacon. And look – here’s a great way to use that expensive bacon, right here. My Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp with Apricot-Currant Chutney is the meal that perfectly blends sweet and savory. Salty bacon is wrapped around shrimp and grilled (I like it charred to the point of almost burnt.) Then those shrimp are topped with a sweet apricot and dried currant chutney. This is my ode to bacon, because you’re worth it bacon, no matter how expensive you get.
Sweet apricot chutney spooned over bacon-wrapped shrimp
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 ounces dried apricots, diced
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 slices thick-cut bacon, cut in half crosswise
- 20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the apricots, currants, vinegar, water, sugar, and mustard and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Meanwhile, place a large grill pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for about 4 minutes, until partially cooked through. Drain on paper towels and let cool slightly.
3. Place the grill pan back over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp on both sides with salt and pepper and wrap a piece of bacon around each shrimp. Thread 5 shrimp onto each of four skewers and brush with the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until the bacon is crispy and the shrimp are cooked through. Serve with the chutney alongside.