I slept like a baby last night. Yet, come to think of it, that expression makes zero sense to me. Babies do not sleep. They cry, and they cry at the most inconvenient times. Like in the middle of the night. But apparently if I had a screaming baby in the next room, I would not wake up. Because it has been pointed out to me that last night circa 3 am, someone rang the doorbell and my dog went berzerk. I cannot confirm any of this, of course, because apparently I was mid-REM cycle.
Last night before I went to bed, I was fat and happy due to consuming more than my fair serving of this Creamy Parmesan Polenta with Maple Onions. I make a simple creamy, buttery polenta with lots of nutty parmesan cheese. But I top this simple polenta with something special – warm, caramelized maple onions. A bowl of this polenta and you’ll be sleeping good tonight!
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Bring the water and 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal, then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until the polenta thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, milk, and butter. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add the maple syrup and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are tender and lightly caramelized. Transfer the polenta to bowls and top with the maple onions.