Now, how cute are these little itty-bitty individual pies? Especially with Valentine’s Day coming up and that cute little heart in the center. You can tell how serious I am about my food, seeing as I demand my own dessert even if it is Valentine’s Day. Mommy never taught me how to share, I guess. If you are willing to share these little pies, I applaud you. But if you’re alone this Valentine’s Day, it gives you the perfect opportunity to eat all four on your own, which sounds like a pretty great night to me… No one is judging. We’re all friends here.
Truth be told, I think Valentine’s Day is highly overrated. The only reason I bear the overhyped holiday is because everything is pink, and that makes me happy. These Mini Lemon-Blueberry Pies are perfect for sharing or keeping all to yourself. They start off with a flaky, homemade pie dough that I roll over a sweet, lemon-scented blueberry filling. As these pies bake, the crust crisps up and turns a golden brown, while the berries become soft and bubble over the warm crust. Each bite is a pure slice, erm… individual pot of heaven.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening, diced
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With the machine running, add the water in a slow, steady stream, blending just until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Shape the dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each into a 4-inch circle, about ¼-inch thick.
- Toss together the blueberries, sugar, lemon zest, and flour in a medium bowl. Divide the filling between four 4-inch ramekins and place the ramekins on a large rimmed baking sheet. . Top each ramekin with a crust and use your fingers to crimp the edges. Cut a few slits in the top of each pie, then gently brush the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Freeze the pies for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake the pies for 35 to 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.