Now, how cute are these little itty-bitty individual pies? Especially with Valentine’s Day coming up and that cute little heart in the center. You can tell how serious I am about my food, seeing as I demand my own dessert even if it is Valentine’s Day. Mommy never taught me how to share, I guess. If you are willing to share these little pies, I applaud you. But if you’re alone this Valentine’s Day, it gives you the perfect opportunity to eat all four on your own, which sounds like a pretty great night to me… No one is judging. We’re all friends here.
Truth be told, I think Valentine’s Day is highly overrated. The only reason I bear the overhyped holiday is because everything is pink, and that makes me happy. These Mini Lemon-Blueberry Pies are perfect for sharing or keeping all to yourself. They start off with a flaky, homemade pie dough that I roll over a sweet, lemon-scented blueberry filling. As these pies bake, the crust crisps up and turns a golden brown, while the berries become soft and bubble over the warm crust. Each bite is a pure slice, erm… individual pot of heaven.
- 1½ cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup + 1½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced
- ¼ cup cold vegetable shortening, diced
- ¼ cup ice water
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- To make the crust, place 1½ cups of flour, 1½ teaspoons of sugar, and the salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With the machine running, add the ¼ cup of ice water in a slow, steady stream, blending just until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Shape the dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each into a 4-inch circle, about ¼-inch thick. Using a 1-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out a small heart in the center of the dough. Set the dough aside.
- To make the filling, toss together the blueberries, ¼ cup of sugar, the lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon of flour in a medium bowl. Divide the filling between four 4-inch ramekins and place the ramekins on a large rimmed baking sheet. Top each with a crust and crimp the edges of the crust with the tines of a fork. Gently brush the dough with the egg wash (egg beaten with a tablespoon of water) and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. Freeze the pies for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake the pies for 35 to 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.