Happy new year! Now here’s the deal. I, like most of you, am completely unable to keep my new years resolutions for more than two weeks. Nevertheless, I try every year. I vow to workout four times a week, or eat more salads. Since I always (repeat, always) fail, year after year, I am just going to cram as much healthy, resolution-worthy food into my pseudo-guaranteed two weeks of dedication. It starts with this Grapefruit, Kale, and Feta Salad.
This dish is inspired by a great salad that I ordered a while ago at a fun rooftop restaurant in New York. I loved this salad so much because both the way it was prepared and the ingredients that it used were so unordinary. The kale in the salad was completely raw, so I was surprised that it tasted as great as it did. The combination of kale, grapefruit, and feta cheese was the perfect union of flavors and textures. The best part about this salad that I recreated at home is the sweet pomegranate seeds. I massage some lemon juice into the raw kale to help soften it and take away any bitterness in the vegetable. This salad is a light, new years resolution-worthy meal.
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the kale in a large bowl. Add half of the lemon juice and massage the kale with your fingers for 3 to 5 minutes, until the kale begins to soften and turns a bright green color.
- Toss together the kale, grapefruit segments, feta, pomegranate seeds, and red onion in a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil and remaining lemon juice over the top and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss to evenly coat.