Are you still there? You sure? Because the world was supposed to end today… But I’m still here. Perhaps I’m writing to no one. Anyway, yesterday I was seriously considering eating a bowl of cereal for dinner. Then I got this strange feeling in my gut, like I was finally buying into the whole 2012 thing. I decided that I really didn’t want Cheerios to be my final meal before I exploded or whatever it is that happens when the world ends. I figured pasta would be a good idea. I should load up on carbs in case I’m the only rapture survivor and I have to fight off the zombies.
I put together this Fettuccine with Sage and Asiago Pesto last night. I make a really easy pesto sauce with fresh sage, walnuts, and grated Asiago cheese. I toss the sauce with some fettuccine pasta for a yummy dinner. I think I’d be pretty happy if this was my last meal.
- 1 cup fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheese
- 1 pound fettuccine pasta
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Combine the sage, walnuts, garlic, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Gradually add the olive oil and blend until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the pesto to a small bowl and stir in the cheese.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente. Drain the pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add the sage pesto and lemon juice and toss to coat.