Something magical happened a few weeks ago. I had been staying indoors as much as possible, only leaving the house for sustenance or to walk the dog. I can blame it on my fear of getting West Nile, but I just really hate the heat. I spend my summers wishing I were in Seattle, where it is currently 72 degrees outside. But for a few days a couple of weeks ago, we got a reprieve from the claustrophobic heat that I so often dream of escaping. When I stepped outside, it was downright pleasant out. A balmy 75 degrees, to be specific. And it stayed that way for two or three days. It was unbelievable.
That pleasant weather did not last very long. It is September and I have experienced nothing but 100 degree temperatures all week. I blame myself. I should have appreciated it more. My only hope is to stay inside and keep telling myself that it’s almost over. While I will miss all of the fresh produce that summer has to offer, I cannot wait for the cooler weather to roll in. So consider this black bean and mango salad one last summer hurrah. It is the perfect side dish, full of sweet and fresh summer flavors.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Toss together the black beans, bell pepper, mango, red onion, jalapeño, and cilantro in a large bowl to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Whisk together the vinegar, lime juice, honey, and cumin in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
If you like this salad, you will love my Mango and Jicama Slaw. It’s a great way to use up the rest of that mango!